10 Tips for dealing with a really lousy day:
1. Do something for someone else…Do good, feel good. This ones easy & everyone benefits.
2 . Distract yourself…go to a movie, watch a funny TV show, download Bossy Pants by Tina Fey onto an audiobook. If the chapter on her dad doesn’t make you pee your pants laughing…take a sedative and go straight to bed!
3. Seek inner peace through outer order….clean a closet, tidy up your office. It always makes me feel better after I have torn apart a closet & revamped.
4. Exercise…throw yourself into a downward dog, get your groove going in a run or a high speed walk. Don’t lolly gag about, this just gives you time to ponder all your issues, ho hum.
5. Keep perspective People…will this really matter in a year.
6. Write it down. When something horrible is consuming my mind, I find that if I write up a paragraph or two about the situation, I get immense relief. Have a journal, this is by far the best thing I have done in the last couple of years. There are Apps on IPad that have a coded key, so no one can ever see what dirty little secrets & feelings you have written down. Not that I have any…haha
7. Be grateful. Remind yourself that a lousy day isn’t a catastrophic day. Be grateful that you’re still on the “lousy” spectrum. Probably, things could be worse.
8. Resist the urge to “treat” yourself. Often, the things we choose as “treats” aren’t good for us. The pleasure lasts a minute, but then feelings of guilt, loss of control, and other negative consequences just deepen the lousiness of the day. So when you find yourself thinking, “I’ll feel better after I have a few BudLites…a pint of ice cream…a new pair of jeans,” ask yourself – will it REALLY make you feel better? It might make you feel worse
9. It’s a cliché, but things really will look brighter in the morning. Go to bed early and start the next day anew. Also, sleep deprivation puts a drag on mood in the best of circumstances, so a little extra sleep will do you good.
10. On this day only hang out with people that you are crazy about….they will kick you in the ass while being supportive♥